As a therapist, writing can be a powerful and effective way to help you build an online profile that leads to media interviews and new clients.
Writing can be in the form of magazine articles, blogging, guest blogging, copywriting on your website or newspaper articles. All these avenues help you establish yourself as an authority in your niche and the ‘go-to’ expert for the clients you work with.
However, many therapists are still not sharing their knowledge and experience through writing and potentially missing out on valuable opportunities for growing their business.
Valerie Khoo is a journalist and author who is the founder of the Australian Writers’ Centre. She has mentored countless writers that have gone on to write for prestigious publications and publish books.
In this interview Valerie covers:
- Why it’s important to write as a business owner
- The different types of writing available to business owners
- What forms of writing are suitable for therapists
- How a blog can help serviced-based professionals such as therapists
- Some of the most common objections people have to writing
- The benefits that can come from writing for your business
- How blogging is different from other forms of writing
- Where to find inspiration for writing and how to collect your ideas
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Australian Writers’ Centre
- Courses at The Australian Writers’ Centre
- Online and On-Demand courses at The Australian Writers’ Centre
- Blogging for Beginners – online course
- How to Get More Blog Readers – online course
- ValerieKhoo.com – Valerie Khoo’s blog
- Power Stories: The 8 Stories you MUST Tell to Build an Epic Business – book by Valerie Khoo
Valerie Khoo is a journalist and author. She is also founder and national director of the Australian Writers’ Centre, the country’s leading centre for writing courses. In addition to her passion for writing and storytelling, she is a regular commentator in the world of entrepreneurship and small business. Her book Power Stories: The 8 Stories you MUST Tell to Build an Epic Business helps small business owners use storytelling to build their profile, get more customers and grow their businesses.
Valerie has been a journalist for more than 20 years including 15 years as a writer for Fairfax, deputy editor at CLEO, regular columnist and author of six books. Her personal blog can be found here.
Listen to the audio with the player at the top of this post, or listen on SoundCloud, Stitcher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.
photo credit: Unsplash.com