Big businesses have many effective marketing activities, processes and systems that help them grow in the long term and develop their business.
In this episode of our latest podcast, I speak about 5 big business marketing lessons that you can use in your own private practice.
The big business marketing lessons are:
1. Create a marketing plan that you write down
- nothing happens in big business without a plan
- create documentation for your action steps
- create due dates to stay accountable
2. Be strategic and plan everything
- big business is always concerned about strategy
- consider whether a particular marketing strategy is suitable for your niche
- think about the strategy of WHY you’re doing something
- once you have the strategy, then decide on your tactics and how you’re going to implement your strategy
3. Commit to a marketing activity- no excuses!
- big business is not interested in excuses- clients pay and want deliverables
- use this approach in your own business by committing to an activity and act on it
- being consistent in your marketing is very important to build trust and credibility with potential new clients
- use systems to help you automate as much as possible e.g. opt-in forms, scheduling on social media, scheduling newsletter or emails, use project management software like Todoist or Asana
4. All your marketing has to be focused on your ideal client
- big business spends huge sums of money on understanding their customers and clients through focus groups, surveys, interviews, contests etc.
- don’t think about your perspective, think about your ideal client’s view of the world and then tailor your marketing to their pain, struggles and difficulties
- use the language that client uses on your promotional materials
- make sure your content speaks in the voice and tone your ideal clients would use
5. Meet prospects in the real world:
- relationships become stronger when you meet people in the real world
- big business have meetings to improve and strengthen current clients and develop new business
- use public speaking to build connections with your ideal clients
- do networking to develop peer relationships and let people know you
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- 041: Outsourcing in your therapy practice: How to build an online team to help your therapy practice grow [Podcast]
- Buffer App – free scheduling tool for social media posts
- Todoist – free To Do task management software
- Asana – free task management software for working with teams
- Australia Counselling membership – Join Australia Counselling to promote your private practice
Listen to the audio above, listen on SoundCloud, Sticher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.