Clinical hypnosis is an effective technique for helping your clients manage pain, stress, phobias as well as a broad range of other issues our clients present to us.
Clinical hypnosis can be easily integrated with Gestalt therapy, NLP, Person-Centred Therapy, Solution Focused Therapy and many other therapy approaches. So it’s a wonderful technique to add to your clinical skills to help your clients who present with many different issues.
The mechanisms of suggestion are powerful in calling upon the subconscious mind to assist our clients in the process of change and positive therapeutic outcomes.
So we spoke with Leon Cowen who is a clinical hypnotherapist and clinical hypnotherapy educator, with over 40 years as a therapist.
In this episode Leon discusses:
- The difference between clinical hypnosis and clinical hypnotherapy
- What clinical hypnotherapy and psychotherapy have in common
- Some of the most common myths about hypnosis
- Why our clients are often in a hypnotic state when they first contact us on the phone
- Issues clinical hypnosis can effectively treat
- Issues where hypnosis is contraindicated
- How clinical hypnosis and psychotherapy techniques are similar
- What are induction techniques, susceptibility techniques and deepening techniques
- Successful case studies where clinical hypnosis was used
Links and resources mentioned in this episode
- Clinical Hypnosis for Health Professionals – 2-day workshops with Leon Cowen in Sydney, Aug 31, Sep 1, 2015
- Download PDF for Leon’s Sydney workshop with PDP Seminars
- Academy of Applied Hypnosis
- Call the Academy of Applied Hypnosis on 02 9415 6500
- Email Leon Cowen
About Leon W. Cowen
Leon W. Cowen is arguably Australia’s most experienced clinical hypnotherapist and clinical hypnotherapy educator. With over 40 years as a therapist, thirty as an educator and completing his PhD in clinical hypnotherapy education, he is acknowledged as a leader in the profession. He has served as the chair of the Hypnotherapy Council of Australia Educational Advisory Board and lectures at various universities, hospitals and conferences on specialist hypnotherapy techniques and applications. As the Executive Director of the Academy of Applied Hypnosis he brings his immense experience into the Academy’s training. Leon is a member of many professional associations such as the Australian Hypnotherapist Association, the Australian Society of Clinical Hypnotherapists, Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (NSW), Psychotherapists and Counsellors Federation of Australia, Australian Counselling Association and the Australian Integrative Medicine Association.
Listen to the audio with the player at the top of this post, or listen on SoundCloud, Stitcher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.