He was propelled to fame in the 1980s when Oprah featured his bestselling book “Getting the Love You Want” on her show and subsequently had Harville appear 18 times on her daytime talk show.
Harville and his wife Helen LaKelly Hunt PhD formed the popular and effective Imago therapy for working with couples, which is a therapy for couples now practiced by over 2000 certified therapists in 30 countries
In this episode Harville shares:
- How the theory of Imago therapy came about from his book “Getting the Love You Want”.
- How his philosophical training and learnings influenced his theory behind love and relationships.
- A brief overview of the philosophy and theory of Imago that underpins his work with couples.
- How using an Imago lens is helpful in working with couples.
- How approaches to working with couples has evolved over the decades since he started working in this field.
- The importance of safety in the couple relationship.
- How anxiety and defenses are involved in couple relationships.
- New interventions Harville is using with couples to bring about lasting change.
- His thoughts on attachment theory and differentiation theory in his understanding of the couple.
- His latest book called Making Marriage Simple.
Links and resources mentioned in this podcast:
- Getting the Love You Want [Book]
- Imago Relationship Training [Website]
- Making Marriage Simple: Ten Truths for Changing the Relationship You Have into the One You Want [Latest Book]
- HarvilleHendrix.com [Website]
- Australia Counselling membership – Join Australia Counselling to promote your private practice
About Harville Hendrix:
Harville Hendrix, Ph.D. is a couple’s therapist with over 40 years of experience as a therapist, educator, clinical trainer, author and lecturer. He and his wife, Helen LaKelly Hunt, co-created Imago Relationship Therapy, a therapy for couples now practiced by over 2000 certified therapists in 30 countries. Dr. Hendrix and his wife have co-authored ten books on intimate relationships and parenting, including their most recent book Making Marriage Simple. Referred to by Oprah Winfrey as the “Marriage Whisperer,” Dr. Hendrix has been featured on the Oprah show 18 times, winning Oprah her first Emmy for “most socially redemptive” daytime talk show.
For the past 4 years, Dr. Hendrix and Dr. Hunt have been working to ignite a global movement to educate people about the value of healthy, intimate relationships. He and his wife reside in New York City and have been married 30 years. They have six children and five grandchildren. Visit his website at HarvilleHendrix.com
Listen to the audio above, listen on SoundCloud, Sticher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.