Have you ever had the experience of doing great work with a client, but then for some reason progress stalls? You’ve reached a therapeutic impasse and no matter which direction you go, you can’t seem to make headway.
It’s not uncommon for clients to get stuck in therapy, but the key is knowing what to do once the therapy stalls.
So I spoke with U.S. therapist Courtney Armstrong who is the author of the book The Therapeutic “Aha!”: Strategies for Getting Clients Unstuck.
In this interview Courtney discusses:
- where clients often get stuck in therapy
- why you need to engage the emotional brain of your clients
- how you can strengthen the therapeutic alliance when your clients are stuck
- how to create exciting goals with your clients
- how to locate the root of emotional conflict
- her 5-step memory reconsolidation framework to reverse trauma
- why it’s essential to activate experiential change in your clients
- some of her best tips for helping clients get unstuck
Links and resources mentioned in this episode
- The Therapeutic “Aha!”: 10 Strategies for Getting Your Clients Unstuck – Booktopia
- The Therapeutic “Aha!”: 10 Strategies for Getting Your Clients Unstuck – Amazon
- www.courtneyarmstrong.net – get free resources and downloads from Courtney’s website
About Courtney Armstrong
Listen to the audio with the player at the top of this post, or listen on SoundCloud, Stitcher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.