We live in a world today where many people feel entitled to money, fame, success and popularity. Studies are telling us that narcissism is at an all time high.
But what exactly is narcissism and are we having a narcissism epidemic? What are the causes of narcissism and can anything be done to prevent a future generation of narcissists?
Dr Jean Twenge is professor of psychology at San Diego State University and has been researching and writing about this topic for many years. Her ground-breaking book The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement answers many questions about what’s happening in our culture and what can be done to reduce narcissism.
In this interview Dr Jean Twenge shares:
- what is narcissism and why we are having a narcissism epidemic
- how the internet, celebrity culture, parenting and easy credit is contributing to a rise in narcissism
- the characteristics of a narcissist
- some of the causes of narcissism
- the difference between healthy and unhealthy narcissism
- the relationship between self-esteem and narcissism
- how to deal with a narcissist
- what can parents do to reduce the possibility of raising children that become narcissistic adults
Links and resources mentioned in this episode
- Foundations of Well-Being Online Program – Special offer! Save $50 between December 5th and December 31st, 2014.
- The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement with co-author W. Keith Campbell. (2010)
- Generation Me: Why Today’s Young Americans Are More Confident, Entitled, Assertive – and More Miserable Than Ever Before (2014)
- The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant (2012)
About Dr Jean Twenge
Jean M. Twenge, Ph.D., is a widely published professor of psychology at San Diego State University. Her research has appeared in Time, USA Today, The New York Times, and The Washington Post, and she has been featured on Today and Dateline and National Public Radio’s All Things Considered. She holds degrees from the University of Chicago and the University of Michigan. Dr. Twenge lives with her husband in San Diego, California. Find out more at www.JeanTwenge.com.
Listen to the audio with the player at the top of this post, or listen on SoundCloud, Stitcher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.