In this 30-minute video, Dr Ellyn Bader of www.couplesinstitute.com speaks about the Developmental Approach to Couples Therapy that she created with her husband Dr Peter Pearson. Drs. Bader and Pearson run The Couples Institute in Menlo Park, California and have trained hundreds of couples therapists world wide.
In this presentation, Dr Bader also discusses:
- How her interest and passion for working with couples came about.
- How their Developmental Approach to Couples Therapy came about.
- An overview of the stages and development challenges of each stage of the model.
- What happens if each partner is at a different stage in the model and what complexity this adds to the couple dynamic.
- The most common developmental stage where couples can get stuck.
- How to frame the developmental modesl with your couples and the importance of psycho-education.
- How they prepare the couple for the first appointment and what other aspects are important for getting the couple off to a strong start in those early sessions.
- How they structure the sessions with the couple.
- Resources for therapists who want to increase their knowledge of the developmental approach.
About the presenter:
Dr Ellyn Bader is a founder and director of The Couples Institute in Menlo Park, California As a therapist, workshop leader, author, and speaker, she is dedicated to training a core of exceptional couples therapists and to helping couples create extraordinary relationships. Over the past 30 years she has trained therapists in couples therapy and transactional analysis throughout the United States as well as Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia. She served for 8 years as a Clinical faculty at Stanford University. Ellyn is a past-president of the International Transactional Analysis Association and a recipient of the Clark Vincent Award for an outstanding literary contribution to the field of marital therapy from the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists. Drs. Bader and Pearson co-authored the book, “In Quest of the Mythical Mate: A Developmental Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment in Couples Therapy” (Brunner/Mazel.) and “Tell Me No Lies: How to Face the Truth and Build a Loving Marriage.”
Drs. Bader and Pearson have appeared on numerous radio and TV shows including the Today show and the CBS Morning Show. They have been married to each other for 26 years and have worked together for 28 years. They have had multiple opportunities to practice what they preach.
Listen to the audio with the player at the top of this post, or listen on SoundCloud, Stitcher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.