Male sexuality can express itself in ways that may be difficult to understand to the general population.
Many marriages have been hurriedly terminated when couples (and their therapists) have lacked the information they needed to understand their current situations when male sexuality is being expressed in alternative ways.
Dr Joe Kort, who joined us in episode #8 speaking about gay affirmative therapy for the straight clinician, has recently written the book: Is My Husband Gay, Straight or Bi? A Guide for Concerned Women as a guide to help couples understand how male sexuality.
This book provides the clarity, describes the choices, and (in many cases) offers hope for relationships and marriages that have been brushed off as doomed.
In our latest podcast interview, Dr Kort discusses:
- What inspired him to write his new book Is My Husband Gay, Straight, or Bi? A Guide for Concerned Women
- Whether we can clearly differentiate sexual orientation between bi, gay and straight
- The four question test he uses to determine a person’s sexual orientation
- What the term heteroflexible means and how recent generations are embracing this new sexuality
- If it’s possible for a person’s sexual orientation to change throughout their lifetime
- Advice he gives women who discover their husband or partner is watching gay porn or having sex with men
- The psychology of men who express their sexuality through having sex with men, but don’t consider themselves gay
- Whether women’s sexuality is more fluid than men, or if this is just a myth
- If a marriage can survive when the husband has been discovered secretly having sex with men
- How he works with couples when there is concern about the sexuality or sexual orientation of the male partner
Links and resources mentioned in this episode
- Is My Husband Gay, Straight, or Bi? A Guide for Concerned Women: available on Amazon from September 16
- Gay Affirmative Therapy for the Straight Clinician: Dr Kort’s book available on Amazon
- 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love: Dr Kort’s book available on Amazon
- 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Improve Their Lives: Dr Kort’s book available on Amazon
- Dr Joe Kort’s blog on Huffington Post
- Australia Counselling membership – Join Australia Counselling to promote your private practice
About Dr Joe Kort
Dr Joe Kort is a Psychotherapist, coach and author based in Detroit, Michigan who been in practice since 1985. He specializes in Gay Affirmative Psychotherapy as well as IMAGO Relationship Therapy. Dr. Kort is also a Board Certified Sexologist specialising in sex therapy and sexual identity. He is also a Certified Sexual Addiction therapist and offers workshops for couples and singles. He runs a gay men’s group therapy and a men’s sexuality group therapy for straight, bi and gay men who are struggling with specific sexual issues. Dr. Kort’s practice is mixed with straight, gay, lesbian and bi-attractional individuals and couples. His websites include www.joekort.com and www.straightguise.com
Listen to the audio above, listen on SoundCloud, Stitcher Radio, or subscribe in iTunes.