Did you know that the symptoms of ADHD and Autism can be profoundly affected by diet? Sydney Dietitian Paula Tazzyman knows because she’s been working with children who suffer from these conditions for over 15 years and has helped thousands of children and families suffering from these conditions. In this podcast, Paula speaks about how nutritional support in children with ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder can be beneficial. Paula also discusses:
- How her passion for working in this area came about
- A working definition of ADD/ADHD and ASD
- The role of nutrition in Autism and ADHD- how important is it and why?
- What are the main nutritional concerns facing children with Autism and ADHD
- The current scientific evidence regarding diet and Autism and ADHD
- What nutrients are likely to be deficient in these children and what effect will this have on learning, concentration and behaviour.
- The argument for supplementation with children
- The benefits of nutritional support she has observed over her 15 years of clinical experience
- Her top 3 recommendations for ADHD diet and Autism
About the presenter:
Paula is a Sydney Accredited Practising Dietitian who specialises in working with children with ADHD and those on the Autism spectrum.
She graduated from the University of Sydney in 1995 with a Masters in Nutrition & Dietetics. Paula has worked extensively in the management of Attention Deficit & Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and supporting children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder for over 15 years. She was part of the team at Royal Far West Children’s Health Scheme for 11 years where she supported children and families from regional NSW.
She has helped thousands of families improve the nutritional status of their children and optimise their health, concentration, learning ability and behaviour via dietary modifications.She is passionate about the role nutrition has in supporting the total wellbeing and academic achievements of children as well as supporting families, especially mothers, in their nutritional wellness.
Paula has an active role in educating parents and therapist regarding the role nutrition plays in supporting children that are affected by ASD/ ADHD. Most notable in 2011, Paula present at two Nation Early Intervention conferences raising the awareness of nutritional therapy amongst educators.
Paula regularly speaks to ADHD/ASD support groups, childcare centres and other educational organisations regarding the role nutrition plays in supporting children’s brain development, brain function and behaviour. She has facilitated many workshops regarding nutrition and Autism in conjunction with Autism Advisory Support Services NSW and Byron Bay Early Intervention Services. As well as nutrition and ADHD workshops facilitated in conjunction with Addults with ADHD NSW.
Paula has worked in private practice since 1997 and is part of the team at Abbotsford Family Medical Practice. She has has been the educational consultant to Novasel Australia and is currently the consultant dietitian to the Autism Specialist Clinic in Wetherill Park. www.paulatazzyman.com.au